You are here
QUALITY ASSURANCE WORKING GROUP (QAWG)
The Quality Assurance Working Group (QAWG) was established in 2016 to help enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of Quality Assurance throughout the Federal OIG community. In 2019, CIGIE formally recognized the Working Group as part of its Federal Audit Executive Council (FAEC).
CIGIE’s Quality Standards for Federal Offices of Inspector General (Silver Book) requires each Office of Inspector General to establish and maintain a quality assurance program to ensure that work performed complies with established OIG policies and procedures; meets applicable professional standards; and is carried out economically, efficiently, and effectively.
Message from the Chair, Devin Polster
Quality assurance professionals have the opportunity and vital responsibility for catalyzing transformational change, self-awareness, and a culture of continuous learning and improvement within their organizations. On behalf of the QAWG Board and fellow members, we invite you to participate with us in this vibrant, dynamic, and growing community. Arrive with your questions, lend your expertise, and contribute to a variety of initiatives that will further develop the community and yourself. Reach out to the Board via the information below. We look forward to connecting with you.
The QAWG is committed to diversity, equality, and inclusivity, and to fostering such an environment for all members, participants and guests, regardless of age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
The QAWG meets on a quarterly basis. Meetings are typically held in the following months: February, May, September, and November/December.
Due to COVID and our dispersed workforce, meetings are held virtually, via VTC (with a dial-in teleconference option).
Devin Polster, Chair, Devin.Polster@oig.dhs.gov
Devin Polster is the Director of Audits and Inspections Quality Assurance at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Office of Inspector General. Mr. Polster leads assurance and compliance activities as part of a multidisciplinary portfolio of risk-based oversight designed to enhance quality, the control environment, and compliance with applicable standards for his organization’s audits, inspections, and evaluations components.
Devin has worked regionally, nationally, and internationally in the areas of oversight, governance, risk management, economic development, finance, policy, and business operations. His dedication to public service has spanned a career across several Federal agencies and the U.S. Congress.
Devin completed his executive education in Public Leadership at Harvard, and his MA studies at University of Chicago. He is a Certified Internal Auditor and Certified Fraud Examiner. Devin also holds professional certifications in Executive Leadership; Internal Controls; Enterprise Risk Management; Business Coaching; Mediation; Leading Change; and Driving Results. Devin was awarded the Federal Honor Service Award; Award for Meritorious Service; Award for Excellence; and the Distinguished Service Award.
QAWG Charter + Goals/Objectives
The QAWG’s Charter can be found here.
The Group’s overall goals and objectives are to:
- Identify, document, and share resources, insights, and good practices to assist the OIG community with its QA activities.
- Enhance the understanding of how the Federal OIG QA community selects, performs, and reports on QA activities.
- Foster a network of support and communication for the Federal OIG QA community.
- Provide learning, sharing, and professional development activities to enhance QA subject matter expertise across the Federal OIG community.
- Share current industry-related developments relevant to the OIG and QA communities.
Products, Activities, Resources
Whitepapers: QA Good Practices. The QAWG developed and recently issued five industry whitepapers related to quality assurance, directly focusing on those areas senior leadership across the Federal OIG Audits community deemed priorities:
- Monitoring and Reporting Quality Assurance
- Audit Sampling
- Data Reliability
- Supervisory Review
- Audit risk
QA Community Profile. The QAWG has initiated an ambitious benchmarking project aimed at identifying the Federal OIG community’s approach to quality assurance across the entirety of the CIGIE community, particularly from an Audits perspective. Standby for exciting developments…
Professional Development and Continuing Education. The QAWG has established professional development and learning opportunities for its membership community, including in the areas of auditing; inspections and evaluations; quality assurance and control frameworks; and unconscious bias. Select presentation materials can be found here:
Membership & Participating Agencies
The QAWG welcomes participation across the CIGIE QA community. Please contact the Board to join. We look forward to welcoming you.
Current membership includes representation from the following agencies, primarily from Office of Inspectors General:
- Architect of the Capital
- Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System / Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Commodity Futures Trading Commission
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Corporation for Public Broadcasting
- Defense Information Systems Agency
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Defense
- Department of Education
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of Justice
- Department of Labor
- Department of State
- Department of Transportation
- Department of Treasury
- Election Assistance Commission
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Export-Import Bank of the United States
- Farm Credit Administration
- Federal Communications Commission
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Federal Housing Finance Agency
- Federal Maritime Commission
- Federal Reserve Board
- Federal Trade Commission
- General Services Administration
- Government Accountability Office
- Health and Human Services
- Housing and Urban Development
- Legal Services Corporation
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- National Intelligence Community
- National Labor Relations Board
- National Science Foundation
- National Security Agency
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Office of the Intelligence Community
- Office of Personnel Management
- Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
- Security and Exchange Commission
- Small Business Administration
- Social Security Administration
- Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction
- Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program
- Tennessee Valley Authority
- Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- U.S. Capitol Police
- U.S. Marshals Service
- U.S. Postal Service
- Veterans Administration